Healing Ginger-Turmeric Sleep Tea

Ginger-Turmeric Tea www.thespeach.com

Like most moms, getting home after work means that I will be preparing dinner, checking homework, bathing kids and a host of other unexpected occurrences depending on the day. As much as I’d like to sit down and just rest, the reality is that I just don’t have the time. The one self-care ritual that I don’t skip is my nighttime ginger-turmeric tea. It set’s the tone for restful sleep and allows me to support the gentle healing needs of my body. The best part is that once you do go to sleep, the magic happens without any additional effort on your part.

The 4 main ingredients in this powerful tonic: turmeric, ginger, lemon and honey, are all associated with good health. I’ve used turmeric religiously for cancer prevention, but now data supports that it may prolong life. Among other things, ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and anti-viral agent. Lemons are not only a great liver detoxifier; they also give the tea a really nice flavor. And then there’s honey, used by healers for thousands of years as a sleep remedy. This recipe is so super-easy, it is well worth the short time it takes to prepare.

Healing Ginger Turmeric Tea www.thespeach.com

Did you know the easiest way to peel ginger is to use a spoon?

Bring the water to a boil, add all the ingredients, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Boiling ginger-turmeric tea www.thespeach.com

The tea was so delicious that even my 3 daughters enjoyed it! By the time I finished this post, they were fast asleep.

Sweet Dreams…

Related Posts: “Keepin It Real” Recipes

Healing Ginger-Turmeric Sleep Tea

Yield: 3 cups

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

water, 4 cups

2-inch piece of fresh ginger root

1/2 lemon

1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder

honey (preferably local or raw)

Directions:

1. Peel the ginger root and cut it into thin slices.

2. Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan. Once it is boiling, add the ginger, turmeric, juiced lemon.

3. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally.

4. Strain the tea. Add honey to taste.

I invite you to Subscribe to my blog | Follow me on Twitter | Like us on Facebook | Follow on Pinterest
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

28 Responses to “Healing Ginger-Turmeric Sleep Tea”

1. Adriana — March 20, 2012 @ 7:21 pm Reply

Awesome! Thanks for the ginger peeling tip :)

2. DrAttai — March 25, 2012 @ 6:45 pm Reply

Am amazingly simple and delicious tea – thanks for posting!

3. Eileen — March 26, 2012 @ 8:34 pm Reply

Thanks Dr. Attai. You’re a rockstar in my eyes!

4. CancerBully — March 29, 2012 @ 11:03 am Reply

I love ginger in EVERYTHING! And all my plastic spatulas are yellow with turmeric.

• Eileen — March 29, 2012 @ 11:25 am Reply

LOL! Make that a double… My kitchen toys are all stained!

5. Kathy — April 1, 2012 @ 7:27 pm Reply

I gor the ingredients and will make my first batch tonight!

• Eileen — April 1, 2012 @ 7:46 pm Reply

Congrats Kathy! Be sure to let us know how it worked ;-) I think I’ve started a turmeric movement.

6. Karen Michelle Bayard — May 27, 2012 @ 9:10 pm Reply

Thank you. I will make this tonight!

7. Graeme — August 10, 2012 @ 7:47 am Reply

I grow each of the items in my home garden and I have access to a local bee hive. I have never made a tea from them before now; wow thanks.
    I is sooooo full of beaut flavour.
    Thanks
    Graeme of Coffs Harbour NSW in the land of Oz.

• Eileen — August 10, 2012 @ 8:04 am Reply

What I wouldn’t give to have a garden like yours! Enjoy

8. xro99 — October 13, 2012 @ 2:23 pm Reply

Delicious. I do the same, except with no lemon or honey (I am sugar-free). I will add in some lemon next time and try it out, should be good!

Also, I have found fresh turmeric in my chinese grocers, I just pound the ginger and turmeric together in a mortar pestle and then pour boiling water over that mash. Tastes amazing.

Fresh turmeric is LOVELY.

(haldi is the hindi word for it, and adrak is the word for ginger)

• Eileen — October 13, 2012 @ 3:32 pm Reply

Thanks for the additional information. I love fresh turmeric but it is difficult to find… until last week, that is! I just found a local Indian grocer who sells it. I’m totally going to try your suggestion (including the honey-free version). Let’s see his reaction when I ask in Hindi now that I know how :)

Thanks again,
      Eileen

9. Denise — January 11, 2013 @ 11:39 am Reply

This is so simple….love it ….will try tonight! thx

10. mahshid bakhtiari — February 10, 2013 @ 1:55 am Reply

I love turmeic and ginger it taste good and healthy thank you

11. mandy — February 19, 2013 @ 3:41 pm Reply

I am using a fine sieve and am straining out a lot of the turmeric powder. Will I still get the anti-inflammatory benefits or should I use a bigger strainer and get more of the turmeric through?

• Eileen — February 19, 2013 @ 6:32 pm Reply

I also use a fine sieve. To be honest,by the time the tea cools off, some of the powder settles to the bottom. Continue to make the tea the way the recipe indicates. If you do it regularly, you will definitely get the anti-inflammatory benefits of the turmeric anyway. I also use it in dressings, marinades… pretty much in everything so that I am not relying solely on the tea. Happy sipping and thanks for the comment.

12. joyofyahweh.com — May 4, 2013 @ 5:23 pm Reply

Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are
    a collection of volunteers and starting a new project
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial
    information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

13. Deborah Lee — March 21, 2014 @ 9:58 pm Reply

Making it now. Thanks! Where’s the pin it button?

• Eileen — March 21, 2014 @ 10:02 pm Reply

I know, Deborah! I should totally have the “pin it” button as it is the most popular recipe (and post) on my blog. I am in the process of relaunching my site with more bells and whistles… and “pin it” buttons ;-)

Thanks for the tip. It is much appreciated!

Enjoy your tea, my friend.

14. Rita — March 24, 2014 @ 9:57 pm Reply

Can you make this tea and then store it in the fridge to re-heat the next morning?

• Eileen — March 24, 2014 @ 10:11 pm Reply

Thanks for your question, Rita.

Yes, you can make extra and store it in the fridge. I actually made a gallon of it this morning so that I can enjoy it all week long. Let me know how it goes.

15. Lisa — April 8, 2014 @ 8:08 am Reply

Can you make it in the morning and put it in the refridgerator ?? How long will it keep in the refridgerator ??

• Eileen — April 8, 2014 @ 8:35 pm Reply

Thank you for the great question! Yes, you can totally make it in the morning and leave it in the fridge. I actually have made enough for at least 3-4 days. If you use fresh turmeric root, you won’t have to worry about all the powdered spice settling on the bottom. And here’s another tip… when you feel a cold coming on, add a few garlic cloves. Enjoy!

16. Linda — June 9, 2014 @ 10:45 pm Reply

Great recipe — I made it in my coffee maker, 10 cups of water — run the water through and let it seep for 10 minutes, into the turmeric and ginger — easy peasy! But let me ask you this — if you add the lemon while mix is very hot, will it destroy the Vit. C in the lemon? I choose to add the lemon and honey after I took it off of the heat.

• Eileen — June 11, 2014 @ 10:37 pm Reply

Thank you for the comment. Vitamin C is not completely destroyed by boiling, however, if you’d like to add it at the end, that’s perfectly fine too. I do that sometimes but only because I forget to do it in the beginning. Now I need to come up with a tea that helps me with my memory ;-)

17. Adrianne Talbot-Thomson — July 8, 2014 @ 12:04 pm Reply

I add the lemon and honey after it has cooled enough to not destroy any of their properties.

• Eileen — July 8, 2014 @ 3:35 pm Reply

If that works for you, then that’s awesome. Enjoy!